My boss asked me a few weeks ago to develop a site for one of the professors at Binghamton University. The site was to just be a redesign for some content the professor already had hosted, and needed to be clean and simple to use. After talking to my boss, we decided on a basic layout, with a CMS to easily change the content using CKEditor.
I started by setting up a basic framework for the site, throwing some dummy text in to help me visualize everything. After getting the look the way I wanted it, I decided to switch gears over to the CMS implementation to get that squared away. Once I had the ability to add new pages, including whether they should be in the menu as a top level or a submenu, and could add the appropriate text, I threw a couple of pages into the database and went to check the front end.
The final step was to add some analytics – I usually immediately turn to Google for this, but given that the site never left the index, I realized that this wouldn’t provide accurate tracking. After some quick searching, I found a tutorial on how to make a basic analytics tracker. I ended up modifying it slightly to fit into the AJAX implementation, but ended up getting it to save an entry each time a page was loaded from the database.
I’m putting the finishing touches on the site as I’m writing this, but expect a more in-depth tutorial in the coming weeks – I plan on using the entire framework from this site as my starting point for more projects in the future. To check out the site, head over here to test it out.